VPNAVY VP-9 Mishap - Soviet Shot Down 22JUN55 - No Loss Of Life
VPNAVY Address

MishapVP-5 MishapMishap


MishapsMISHAPs: 00 XXX 00 A/C: PM-1 VP-5 ThumbnailCamera5-P-12 Contributed by KOONTS, AT2 Billy billkoonts@aol.com [27AUG2002]

MishapsMISHAPs: 15 AUG 38 A/C: PBY-3 pby Location: NAS San Diego, Ca Strike: Yes BUNO: 0859/0896 CAUSE: Flew into glassy water during night landing on lower San Diego Bay: DBR Crew: Pilot: Lt(jg) C. E. Kasparek/Killed, AMM1C G. P. Dawson /Seriously Inj, AMM2C F. Freeman/Killed, AMM3C R. D. Chrisinger 1/Seriously Inj, and RM3C H. P. Boeckmam/Killed. Contributed by Terry pb4y-2@sbcglobal.net [22OCT2000]

UPDATE History ThumbnailCameraMishap Crew, etc. Official U. S. Navy Records (National Archives and Records Administration) via Fold3 http://www.fold3.com/ [28NOV2012]


MishapsMISHAPs: 03 JUL 43 A/C: PBY-5 pby Location: Exmouth Gulf, Australia Strike: Yes BUNO: O8294 Cause: Unknown Contributed by Terry pb4y-2@sbcglobal.net [13MAR98]

UPDATE "...VP-101 FAW-10 - Message drop on RAAF air strip. Engine quit during low alt turn resulting in a crash landing. Aircraft destroyed. Pilot ENS J. E. Hetherman/Killed, 3/serious, 3/minor, and 1/no injury..." Contributed by Terry pb4y-2@sbcglobal.net [03JAN2001]

MishapsMISHAPs: 21 JAN 49 A/C: P2V-2 P Neptune Location: NS Roosevelt Roads, PR Strike: NO BUNO: 39323 Cause: Fast taxo test. Nose wheel collasped. Contributed by Terry pb4y-2@sbcglobal.net [23MAR99]


MishapsMISHAPs: 24 APR 50 A/C: P2V-3 P Neptune Location: NAS Jacksonville, Florida 33 miles east of St. Augustine Strike: NO BUNO: 122970 Cause: Gunnery exercise. Cooked round went off and shot own tail. Contributed by Terry pb4y-2@sbcglobal.net [23MAR99]

MishapsMISHAPs: 24 APR 50 A/C: P2V-3 P Neptune Location: NAS Jacksonville, Florida 20 miles west of St. Augustine Strike: NO BUNO: 122972 Cause: Gunnery exercise. Cooked round went off and shot own tail. Contributed by Terry pb4y-2@sbcglobal.net [23MAR99]

MishapsMISHAPs: 24 APR 50 A/C: P2V-3 P Neptune Location: NAS Jacksonville, Florida 30 miles east of St. Augustine Strike: NO BUNO: 122977 Cause: Gunnery exercise. Cooked round went off and shot own tail. Contributed by Terry pb4y-2@sbcglobal.net [23MAR99]

MishapsMISHAPs: 04 SEP 51 A/C: P2V-3 P Neptune Location: NAS Quonset Point, Rhode Island Strike: Yes Deaths: 7/killed BUNO: 122978 Cause: During night ASW flare exercise, lighted flare caught in chute, fire in acft, crashed at sea. Contributed by Terry pb4y-2@sbcglobal.net [03APR98]

UPDATE "...I thought it was in 1952?..." Contributed by DaSILVA, Anibal Josť ww2ferreter@att.net [21NOV2006]

UPDATE Contributed by Terry pb4y-2@sbcglobal.net [Updated 15APR2001 | 03JAN2001]

Crew Lost: LCDR Jerome J. Rossillon (Pilot), LT Herechel B. Thrope (Co-pilot), ADC Charles L. Cook (Plane Captain), AL1 Ralph R.Maxfield (Radio Operator), AL3 Frank M. Roeder, Jr. (ECM Operator), AT2 Charles G. Chapman (Radio Operator), and AO2 Kenneth G.Peterson (Ordnanceman).


On 4 September at 2018 local time, two P2V aircraft departed NAS Quonset Point, Rhode Island for scheduled night spotting submarine exercise with the USS Torak. Purpose of exercise was to practice night ASW Illumuination using Mk VI MO 5 high intensity flares. # 9 Cardfile(BUNO: 122976) was piloted by Rossillon while #1 Cardfile (BUNO: 122923) was piloted by LCDR H. E. Belen. Approaches on submarine were to be in accordance with Air Development Squadron 4 (Air Development Squadron 4 was established as a unit of Air Force, Pacific Fleet, at the Naval Air Missile Test Center to conduct operational evaluation tests of air-launched missiles. The squadron's initial test assignment was to assist NAMTC with tests of Sparrow I), save the partial report which recommends commencing runs at a distance of 1 mile from target at an altitude of 1000-ft with a maximum of 4 flares to be dropped on each approach.

UPDATE "...As ECM operator I had no idea of how many passes we made..." Contributed by DaSILVA, Anibal Josť ww2ferreter@att.net [21NOV2006]

Pull out were to be made over submarine at about 200-400-ft. After rendezvous was affected with submarine Cardfile #1 completed 7 runs on Torak without incident and at about 2223, 2 aircraft exchanged positions #1 Cardfile becoming observer, while #9 Cardfile desended to 1000-ft to begin his practice runs. At 2227, #9 Cardfile began his first approach, dropping 3 flares at 3 second intervales. As he neared and passed over Torak, personnel on the submarine notice signs of fire appearing through #9 Cardfile after entrance hatch. Commanding Officer of Torak suspecting trouble attempted to call #9 Cardfile on VHF, but recieved no reply. The CO also asked #1 Cardfile to call #9 Cardfile, #1 cardfile complied, but also failed to receive an answer. Meanwhile #9 Cardfile after passing the Torak, entered a climbing attitude followed by a left turn and at 2232 plunged into the sea. A fire apparently gasoline, broke out on the surface of the sea where the aircraft crashed. Torak arrived at the scene and began a search for survivors but found only debris. Search and Rescue by air and sea found only items of debris, search was called off at 1130 5 September 1951.


Analyzing results of investigation lead borad to believ that fire inside #9 Cardfile was the cause of the accident.


1) Faulty flare.
2) Flare jamed in flare chute.
3) Failure of an enadvertently action of flare to clearn the after entrance hatch.

Board conclued that item #3 above is the most probable cause

MishapsMISHAPs: 08 OCT 52 A/C: P2V VP-5 P2 Thumbnail LOCATION: Island of Malta TYPE: Crash Landing SRIKE: Yes DEATHS: 00 BUNO: MC-8 CAUSE: Starboard landing gear broke on landing Contributed by Willoughby Taylor wpt828@charter.net [Updated 10JAN98]

UPDATE "...Thursday, October 9, 1952 PLANE CRASH AT LUQA AIRFIELD..." WebSite: Aviation In Malta http://www.aviationinmalta.com/page29.html [22MAR2005]

Tragedy was narrowly averted at Luqa airfield last night when a Lockheed Neptune P2V-5 patrol bomber of the United States Navy crashed on landing and burst into a flaming mass not long afterwards.

The aircraft, belonging to VP-5, United States Navy, temporarily based at Royal Air Force Station, Luqa, was completing a normal night landing, when, according to eye witnesses, the undercarriage collapsed.

The crew, with the pilot, Lieutenant Commander H.E. Belew, United States Navy, got out of the crash unscathed, but were in danger from the resultant fire which enveloped the Neptune quickly.

VP-5 have been stationed at Luqa for almost two months, and hold a high record of efficiency, holding United States Navy Battle Efficiency Pennants for the consecutive years 1951 and 1952.

Based normally at NAS Jacksonville, Florida, VP-5 is commanded by Commander J.C. Houghton USN. The crash is believed to be the first serious mishap to befall a US Navy Plane since the Americans were granted a temporary base in Malta last year.

MishapsMISHAPs: 23 DEC 52 A/C: P2V VP-5 P2 ThumbnailCameraPrior to Mishap VP-5 P2 Thumbnail Largest piece found (spoiler section) LOCATION: Paris France TYPE: Crash Landing SRIKE: Yes DEATHS: 00 BUNO: MC-9 CAUSE: Lost Engine and Electrical Contributed by Willoughby Taylor wpt828@charter.net [Updated 10JAN98]

UPDATE "...A Lifetime Of Memories..." Forwarded by CAVINESS, CAPT Claude P. Retired cavinessfl@fdn.com [10JUN2007]



By TAYLOR, Willoughby

The only sensation of movement was the flapping of the pant legs of myoId flight suit. I was flat on my back, I could tell this by the faet that the tail of the plane passed over me.

It had all started simple enough, our squadron had been deployed to the island of Malta in the Mediterranean. It was early fall of 1952 when we left Jacksonville Naval Air Station in Florida for a five month tour on an English RAF base. Life there was peaceful enough and we had a fair amount of time to see many parts of the world around the Mediterranean Sea.

On December 23, we were returning from one of the several "area familiarization hops" and we had taken this one to Barcelona, Spain and had landed in Frankfurt, Germany in order to refuel the plane. The engines on the P2V -5 aircraft require 150 octane gasoline, which is only available in a few locations in Europe. This would carry us to our next location and on to Malta. While the plane was being refueled, all nine members of the crew and four passengers dined in the US Air Force mess hall. Upon returning to the aircraft , the mechanics made a visual inspection of the engines and control surfaces. The cowlings were closed and we were ready for departure. Take off time was recorded at 16:22 hours Zulu time.

The flight was routine, with crew and passengers chatting about the Spanish natives and their culture. I was seated on the steps leading to the radio compartment from the after station, and was talking with the radioman, Reed McKinney, from Texas. At 17:55 Zulu, we were startled by an explosion outside the plane on the starboard side. The weather being as it was, rain, snow, heavy clouds and darkness, it was impossible to see what had happened. The pilot, LTJG. Ray, who was in the left seat, feathered the prop on the starboard engine and applied full power to the port engine to regain altitude.

The plane commander LT. Warlick immediately called back to the radioman to send out a "MAYDAY" as we were in deep trouble and needed to land as soon as possible. Unfortunately, as Reed tried to send out the message, we suddenly lost all electrical power. Without electricity, we had no lights, no communications, and worst of all no flight instruments. We did, however, have those instruments not requiring electricity, namely the barametric altimiter and the wet compass. I learned later that the starboard engine had exploded and much debris was scattered across the wing.

Word was sent through the plane for each man to get into has parachute harness and to snap a chute on, just in case. Word filtered back that one man could not find a chute. At this point, I removed my chute and laid it on the Sonobouy rack in the afterstation, to see if I could find the missing chute. It was found in a few minutes. As I started to replace my chute onto the harness, the pack suddenly opened, the small pilot chute, which is spring loaded, sprang forward and pulled the main canopy out onto the floor of the plane. The metal ripcord, normally used to deploy the chute, bounced on the floor, also. It took two of us to try to reassemble the pack. When the task was complete, as near as possible, part of the canopy was sticking out of the pack on both sides and I had to hold the ripcord in place with my left hand to prevent the canopy from spilling out again.

We remained in this readiness state for some time while the pilots tried to figure out the best approach to the problem. LT. Warlick, who had flown Berlin Airlift flights after WW II was familiar with the area and tried, as best as he could under the conditions, to find a place to set #2 down. We headed westward for about fifteen minutes and then headed in a more northerly direction with no luck finding a field. It was decided to head for Paris as it was known to have several airports around the city. This took about 1 and 1/2 hours, but, as we approached the city the lights illuminated the cloud cover and we knew that we were headed in the right direction. Suddenly, we popped out of the clouds and directly in front of us was the EIFFLE TOWER. A hard tum to the right avoided hitting it, as we were at much lower altitude than expected. It was then decided to try to find a field on the outskirts of the city. As we flew away from the center of the city, we again encountered heavy clouds. All attempts offind a safe haven, having failed, and fuel running low because of our inability to transfer fuel from one wing to the other, we headed away from the city, and at 21: 10 Zulu the order was given to" JUMP".

As I lay on my back, with my pant legs flapping in the breeze, I realized that I was clear of the plane, and released my self-packed parachute. It worked as it was supposed to and I landed in a wet, plowed field. All 13 of us escaped injury in the bailout. As it turned out, it had been raining in the area for a couple of weeks and the fields into which we landed, were soft.

As I was descending toward the ground, I heard my name called several times. I shifted around in my harness and noted some short distance from me, was another of the jumpers. At this altitude we were out of the cloud cover and could see lights of a small community below. We immediately turned on our one cell lights attached to our life preservers, which we had put on in case we landed in water. This allowed us to follow the progress of each other to the ground. As it happened, I landed in one field and the other man in a field across a dirt road and two barbed wire fences from me. As we approached one another across the fences and into the roadway, we noticed a man with a lantern coming from the village. We greeted him, by waving our hands, being unable to converse in French and found that he could speak no English. We then followed him to the village where several people had gathered. Using sign language and drawing sketches in the mud we conveyed to him (them) that we wanted to go to the crash scene. After much conversation between the people of the village, someone drove up in an automobile. We piled in and were off in an unknown direction. After several miles, we came across two more of the crewmen andat this point got out of the car and joined them in walking. Some time later, we came upon others with a French soldier and accompanied him to a French Army base.

Following the crash, the French Army was dispatched to look for survivors. We later learned that the plane had fallen into a farm house in the town of Beaumont (Seine-et-Oisejand taken the life of an 8 year old little girl. It was noted that if the plane had been 5 feet further into the house, at least 13 people would have died and that if it had been 5 feet further away none would have died. We were the lucky ones, and even now, some fifty plus years later, I still grieve for the family of that little girl.

Needless to say, this is an experience I think of often and as wen, consider what could have happened if the officers of our crew had not been so diligent in their efforts to save us, and to get the plane away from the city to avoid a greater disaster by crashing into a heavy populated area.

The US Navy investigators, deciding to hold the inquest in Paris, as to why the electrical failure occurred as it did with one engine running, instead of choosing Naples, Italy. This meant we were to spend some time in the city until its' conclusion. The kind and generous members of VP-5 went out of their way and into their pockets to outfit us with needed clothing, money, companionship and 11 days of good will to the French people during this investigation. We were found not liable for the death of the little girl by both the Navy and the French Government. The big question was the transfer of fuel. Had we tried to transfer it manually, the chance of stalling the good engine was great if any air pocket had formed in the line to that engine. The plane would have immediately fallen into the city. The engines were never recovered and to this day, as far as I know, they are still buried deep in French soil in that little town.

UPDATE "...When we flew to Paris for the inquiry since our pilot was the squadron's skipper, I heard that nine children gathered at the farmhouse for Christmas were killed..." Contributed by DaSILVA, Anibal Josť ww2ferreter@att.net [21NOV2006]

UPDATE "...I was with VP-5 in 53. I remember well sitting in our ordinance shop and listening to Will Taylor recounting the story of his plane going down outside of Paris. Here a little more about that flight. Taylor sat for what seems a very long time holding his popped chute in his lap wondering if it would open. When it was determine they had to jump, they thought that there was one chute short. At first they were going to hook the two smallest men onto one chute, hoping that whey could safely jump together, but before that happen, they found all the chutes. It was dark and cloudy night and one of the crewmen ( I forget his name ) jumped with a camouflage chute. After the chute open, he looked up and could not see the canopy and thinking his chute had tore away, he landed stiff legged. Luckily, he landed in a plow field and was unhurt. One of the crewmen going out of the after hatch bump his head very hard and the other crewmen were not sure if he was conscious or not. All of the crewmen of that flight came away unhurt. I also served with Will in Iceland in 1953..." Contributed by O'NEAL, AO3 Bob Sr rmo@inetw.net [08MAY2004]

UPDATE "...The crewmember of the MC-9 lost off the Rhode Island coast was radioman Chapman (he liked to lift weights). Chief Ghast (spelling) was head of the hangar shop in NAS Jacksonville; he was the first to invite me to his home for dinner. Another radioman was Pat Carr. He used to go to Maryland to court a girl on liberty weekends (as often as he could, he finally married her). When he left the navy, he went to work for Link Aviation, Inc. When I was research assistant at Hudson Labs in Dobbs Ferry, Pat telephoned me at home from Binghamton and suggested that I work for his company at twice what I was making. How could I refuse? After all, it would have taken me a month of Sundays to get a doctorate and I was not getting any younger. We did keep in contact for a while but it faded away. Somehow, when I was a field engineer I learned that Chief Grant was transferred to Pensacola and that he lived in the Florida panhandle. I visited him there and met his family during one of my rounds of Maxwell, Keesler and Eglin AF bases. One VP-5 crewmember's name was Lovaria (like a cigar by that name); he was from Texas (they enjoyed needling New Yorkers who generally ignored them). And, then there was a person whom we called "Digger" because he worked at a mortuary on weekends. Boring work..." Contributed by DaSILVA, Anibal Josť ww2ferreter@att.net [27MAY2003]

UPDATE "...In 1952 crew 2 and four passengers were on a "area fimiliarization" cruise. We had been to Barsolina Spain for a few days from Malta...We made a stop in Germany to refuel and chow down. Just before dark on December 23, 1952 and after a visual ground check we departed for Malta...We we flying IFR because of the bad weather (snow and rain). After an hour or so the starboard engine just decided to quit.. We feathered the prop and started to send a Mayday. When the radio keyed the transmitter, we realized that we had no electrical power and that the transmitter consequently drained the batteries. We then had no lights, instruments, and no communications. We knew approximately where we were, but could not find a place to set her down. After expending all or most fuel in the port wing (could not transfer) we all jumped. Everyone hit the ground safe and sound. The plane hit a farm house..." Contributed by Willoughby Taylor wpt828@charter.net [31DEC97]

UPDATE "...I read with interest Willoughby's comments about the squadron in the early fifties. I was on the deployments to NAS Quonset Point, Rhode Island when MC-9 went down. I lost a very good friend on that accident. I remember the Malta deployment when one of our planes went down outside of Paris (Willoughby spoke of this also). What he didn't tell was that the parachute rigger was on that flight and had to jump with a chute he had rigged. He also popped his chute in the excitement and went through the hatch holding the chute in his arms. The crew didn't have to go very far to find the rigger of their chutes..." Contributed by Bill Landreth billy@chesapeake.net [02AUG98]

UPDATE "...I would like to correct my comments of the other day regarding the loss of a VP-5 aircraft over France back in the early '50's. I previously reported that the squadron parachute rigger popped his chute and jumped from the plane while holding his chute in his arms. The person who did this was Willoughby Taylor, the Ordinanceman. Willoughby contributed the original account of the mishap to you....Bill Landreth billy@chesapeake.net..." [05AUG98]

MishapsMISHAPs: 30 SEP 53 A/C: P2V VP-5 P2 ThumbnailCamera LOCATION: NAS Keflavik, Iceland TYPE: Crash Landing SRIKE: Yes DEATHS: 00 BUNO: MC-5 CAUSE: Strong gust of wind blew MC-5 off runway on landing Contributed by Willoughby Taylor wpt828@charter.net [10JAN98]


MishapsMISHAPs: 12 JAN 62 A/C: P2V VP-5 Mishap P2 ThumbnailCameraVP-5 P2 BUNO: 131521 Lost LOCATION: Greenland TYPE: Crash SRIKE: Yes DEATHS: 12 BUNO: 131521 CAUSE: Weather In Memorial for lost friends...

Memorial PictureIn Memorial for lost friends...12JAN62 [Last Updated 12NOV2012]

MishapsMISHAPs: LATE 63/EARLY 64 A/C: P2V-7 P Neptune LOCATION: NAS Jacksonville, Florida TYPE: Over stressed SRIKE: No DEATHS: 00 BUNO: 131414

UPDATE P2 AircraftCameraVP-5 P2 BUNO: 131414 "...This photo is of (7) VP-5 squadron aircraft, flying in formation between NAF Lajes, Azores, Portugal and NS Rota, Spain during the fall, 1961 flyover for a six month deployment to NS Rota, Spain. The two nearest planes are BUNO: 128387 (LA6) and BUNO: 131414 (LA7). The picture is from CPO Red McClure's collection, and was furnished to me by Don Latimer. BUNO: 131414 later became LA-2 upon our return stateside, and was involved in a mishap (Late 63/Earlhy 64) that I previously reported..." Contributed by PETTWAY, ATR3 Robert L. (Bob) rpettway@epbfi.com [07SEP2006]

UPDATE "...I am certain of the buno number of the aircraft being 131414..." Contributed by PETTWAY, ATR3 Robert L. (Bob) rpettway@epbfi.com [28MAR2006]

I am certain of the buno number of the aircraft being 131414. Crew 2 (LA-2) was assigned this aircraft following the squadron's return to NAS Jacksonville, Florida from the six month split deployment to NS Rota, Spain / NAS Keflavik, Iceland in April, 1962. Our deployment aircraft, 128407, was sent off for mod/retrofit work, and we were then assigned 131414, which became LA-2. The aircraft 128407 eventually came back to the squadron and was again assigned as LA-2.

I was in error on the date of the mishap, but not the buno number. I now believe the mishap occurred during the summer months of 1962. LCDR Little was the pilot. I was the radioman. AE-2 Denton Massengale was a crewman on board and was on the flight deck at the time of the mishap. I don't recall the other crew members; it was not a full ASW crew complement, only a make-up crew. I remember that we flew an enlisted PO member of the squadron home to Jackson, MS, for some kind of family emergency, and were returning to NAS Jacksonville, Florida when we encountered the thunderhead over south Alabama.

A small airfield tower reported to the pilot after the incident that we fell 10,000 ft. on his radar screen in 30 seconds. I recall that after the pilot, co-pilot, and plane captain, all pulling back on the yoke for all they were worth, finally got the plane back into a nose up attitude, we were still losing altitude. When the aircraft finally began gaining altitude, the tips of pine trees were going past the end of the wing outside my radio compartment window. We came that close!

We had no long-range communication following the incident because the overhead trailing-wire antenna was torn off. There were riveted plates of the aircraft skin that were missing. The interior of the aircraft looked like a tornado had gone through the plane. There were black-box racks which were torn loose from the mounts. Debris everywhere inside the aircraft. Stuff that we didn't even know was in the plane.

We made a straight-in, emergency landing approach at NAS Jacksonville, Florida, with the fire and crash trucks standing-by along the runway. The plane was parked on the seawall ramp at the VP-5 hanger, and everyone from the squadron and FAW-11 HQS. came to view the aircraft. It was unbelievable, the damage to the plane. Many officers and men on the base came to view the plane, as the word of it's demise spread.

I don't really know that the plane was destroyed after the incident, due to being over-stressed in the fall. That was the scuttlebutt we later heard and it could have been wrong. We also heard that the wings were removed and it was shipped to Norfolk on a barge. The plane could have been restored by Lockheed, and eventually given to the Dutch military, I suppose. I can't say what the disposition was of the aircraft following the mishap incident, but I'm certain of the tail number.

Bob Pettway

UPDATE "...VP-5 The late 1963 / early 1964 mishap could not have been of 131414. This aircraft eventually ended up at MASDC (arrived there by air on 19apr66); it was finally struck off charge on 22may70..." Contributed by Jan van Waarde jwaarde@chello.nl, Navy/USMC/USCG/NASA Updates Editor WebSite: http://www.scramble.nl Dutch Aviation Society / Scramble [01DEC2004]

UPDATE "...Was demolished after it returned to NAS Jacksonville, Florida. after being over-stressed in both falling and recovery in flight while flying through a thunderhead over south Alabama. This happened in late ' 63 or early ' 64. The wings were removed and the plane was barged to Norfolk for fire training purposes..." Contributed by PETTWAY, ATR3 Robert L. (Bob) rpettway@epbfi.com [27FEB2001]

MishapsMISHAPs: 00 FEB 67 A/C: P3P3 Orion LOCATION: NS Sangley Point, Philippines SRIKE: No DEATHS: 00 BUNO: Unknown

UPDATE "...Conferred with several old VP-5 Shipmates and the general consensus is that the a/c in question was a plane from an NAF Naha, Okinawa, Japan deployment (VP-6 was there at that time and going home soon). They had loaded up a plane with people who had not yet been in the combat zone to make a Yankee Station flight. They stopped in NS Sangley Point, Philippines to top off the fuel tanks before departing on the long flight. When they taxied out, the ramp in front of the hangar collapsed under the right mainmount and the right wing hit the ramp. I immediately called for trucks to defuel the a/c. When that was done, a cherry picker was brought on scene to raise the a/c so that a piece of boiler plate could be slipped under the right mainmount. The a/c was a P-3A and there were no visible hoisting places. After conferring with all sorts of manuals, an incision was made in the aircraft skin on the right wing fairly close to the fuselage and a hoisting spot was found. The cherry picker latched onto it and started up slowly. Just before the mainmount was out of the hole, the cable snapped and bang, down on the right wing it went again! When it was decided that the cherry picker was of no use, airbags were brought down to the ramp, put under the right wing and blown up. It lifted the a/c up enough to slip a piece of boiler plate under the wheel and tow the a/c off the danger spot. It was discovered that they fell into a drain that washed out where they flowed the sewage out into Manila Bay. We towed the a/c over to the side of the ramp (the right wing was about 20 degrees elevated from level) and it sat there for almost two months. We cannibalized it for our own use and all of a sudden, one day, 4 civilians from an O & R in Tokyo showed up to get the plane. We put nav gear back in, patched the hole that had been cut, made sure the engines were operable and those idiots jumped into it and flew it back to Tokyo, cocked wing and all. I talked to the pilot before they took off and he said she was flyable and he would just have to hold the right wing down a little all the way to Tokyo. Not sure I would have wanted to fly it in that condition, but I guess that's why they get the big bucks. I had a picture of the aircraft in later years where it had been converted and put back into service, same Buno and all. Mac McComas mcporet@surffirst.net, AXC (then) Maintenance Control, VP-5 Night Check (then)..." [16JAN2006]

UPDATE "...In 1967 I was an AMS3 in VP-5 and indeed while VP-5 was stationed at NS Sangley Point, Philippines a P-3 did fall through the ramp, but it was not one of ours (VP-5). I do not remember who it belonged to I think it was like VP-41 or VP-43. I am trying to find some pictures I have that may have the tail letters on it. Anyway what happened was that trying to be a good host we (VP-5) put their bird in the wash area and washed it for them. When the line crew moved the plane out of the wash area one of the main landing gear went through the ramp. After getting the plain out of the hole it look like the sand had just washed away in that area under the ramp. Sangley is right at sea level. The plane was around for a month or two before they flue it out. By that time about the only thing working on it were the new power plants that they sent in for it. As we needed parts and could not get them we would take them from that bird and replace them with our broken parts. Gary C. Starr VP-5 67-70 starrcom1@netzero.com..." [31DEC2005]

UPDATE "...Was with VP-1 at NS Sangley Point, Philippines in '67 when a VP-5 fully loaded aircraft fell through ramp. Would anyone have a photo of this? I was MC Chief at time and could not get my camera. Thanks. Will gladly pay for photo and postage...F. W. McComas mcporet@newwavecomm.net..." [21OCT2000]

MishapsMISHAPs: 1968 or 1969 P3P3 Orion LOCATION: NAS Jacksonville, Florida SRIKE: No DEATHS: 00 BUNO: Unknown CAUSE: In 1968 or 1969 (I think 1968) VP-5 while at NAS Jacksonville, Florida had a bird land and both tires on the (I think Left) main mount blow-out. I think the pilot hit the brakes on that side as the bird touched down. At that point he locked up the brakes and got the plane stopped but not before grinding through the tire and half of both rims on that side. We had to use a wing jack to raise the plane so we could change the tires and get it off the runway. Gary C. Starr VP-5 (1967 to 1970) starrcom1@netzero.com..." [31DEC2005]


MishapsMISHAPs: 00 XXX 75 A/C: P3VP-5 ThumbnailCamera Contributed by Timothy M Walker AW1(AW/NAC) USN Retired tmwalker@bellsouth.net [13FEB98]

MishapsMISHAPs: 27 MAR 78 A/C: P3P3 Orion LOCATION: NAS Norfolk, Virginia TYPE: Ran Off Runway SRIKE: No DEATHS: 00 BUNO: 158566

"VP-5 Summary Page"